Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Patrice: We'll win the league

Patrice Evra was bitterly disappointed to go out of Europe on Wednesday night, but now says he’s “ready to fight” for the Barclays Premier League title.

The Frenchman says he couldn’t bring himself to turn on the television or read any press following United’s Champions League exit, a result he admits “was a big shock”.

“I never expected we’d go out in that way,” he said. “But if we’re out of Europe it’s because we didn’t deserve to go through.

“I hear a lot of people are blaming Rafael but I can’t believe that. He’s only a young player. Okay, he was sent off, but Manchester United can win matches with 10 men. If you need to blame someone then blame the team. Maybe we didn’t do our job properly in the first leg.”

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson often stresses the importance of bouncing back after disappointment and Evra wasted little time dwelling on the Reds’ European heartache.

“I was very upset on Wednesday night, but when I woke up the next day I said to myself: ‘Pat, you have the privilege to win the league again, for the fourth time in a row’.

“And I’m not saying that just to look good in an interview. I truly believe this. I was sad on Wednesday but now I’m okay: I’m ready for the fight.

“Manchester United have to win five games in a row. Is that difficult? I don’t think so. I think we can do that, but the only way we will do that is by showing spirit. When Manchester United play with the right spirit, nobody can beat us.

“The only satisfaction I had after going out to Bayern Munich was the spirit we showed – we started the match with so much hunger. This is key for the end of the season. You need to have that hunger.

“At the end of the season I might regret the way we threw our Champions League chance away, but now is not the time for regrets. Now it’s about fighting and playing with heart. Winning the league will be difficult, but I’m confident.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment