Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Welbeck makes progress


Danny Welbeck is pleased with his performances on United's pre-season tour of the US and Canada, and says it's the result developing as a player mentally just as much as he has done physically or technically.

The 19-year-old forward shone in United's second tour match against Philadelphia Union this week, and he’s hoping his performances will catch Sir Alex Ferguson's eye.

"I’m really pleased with how the tour has gone for me so far and I’m happy with my performances,” Danny told ManUtd.com.

“I’ve got to keep going and continue to get my fitness up. The game in Philadelphia was a good game for us and a good test of our fitness levels. It was quite open at times but we’re pleased to have got the win.

“My main aim is to be part of the first team set-up this season, but I’m happy to go on loan if the manager wants me to. I just want to keep playing games and improving.”

The Longsight-born striker feels his game has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.

“I feel like I’ve improved a lot over the last couple of years in particular,” he explains. “I’ve learnt so much during that time, particularly the importance of mental strength on and off  the pitch. I want to keep improving and striving to show everyone what I can do.”

Much of that development is rooted in the exposure to playing alongside experienced professionals like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, something Welbeck – like al the other youngsters on the tour – has relished across the Atlantic.

“It’s always good to be away with a few of the older lads because you pick up so much from them every day. You see how they prepare for games, how they rest and how they train.

"The older lads at the club are unbelievable – they have this huge determination to win every single training match, let alone actual games. Just to be around them is a real privilege.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment